Categorised links for the slrn newsreader
On this page, you will find links to more web pages and resources that may be of interest to users of the slrn newsreader. The information contained within the slrn tarball such as FAQs, manuals etc is not covered on this page but rather "third party" offerings. The links are categorised as follows:
- Guides and Additional Documentation: Setup guides for slrn and links to some additional documentation.
- Additional Macros for slrn: Where to find some great macros for slrn.
- Patches for slrn: Some great patches for the current version of slrn.
- Personal Sites : Pages put together by individuals keen to illustrate their own usage of slrn, as well as patches and macros that they have developed.
- External Scripts and Programs: Programs, scripts and utilities that can be used with slrn.
With the release of slrn 1.0.1 many older links which were no longer relevant and many links to inactive pages have been removed. If you have an slrn page which could be featured here, or you feel there is one that should not have been removed, please be sure to send an email to the website team using the address found at the base of this page.
Guides and Additional Documentation
- Setting up slrn on Slackware Linux A well written guide by Michiel Wessem dealing with the initial setup of slrn under Slackware.
- slrn - Ubuntu Community Documentation A very comprehensive wiki guide for slrn under Ubuntu Linux which deals with slrn 0.9.9 as well as the svn slrn.
- slrn Documentation: The slrn Documentation Project, where official and unofficial slrn documentation is developed. The project welcomes the assistance of anybody who would like to rewrite sections of the documentation or make additions. The project is now quiescent, it would be good to see it revived!
Additional Macros for slrn
- jbn's S-Lang code for slrn: Almost a dozen very useful useful macros written by J.B. Nicholson-Owens.
- Simple adaptive scoring for slrn: This macro set provides a basic implementation of "adaptive scoring". It automatically generates scorefile entries based on what articles you read or replied to and comes with a simple script that automatically purges old entries. Written by Robin Sommer.
Patches for slrn
- Score Color Patch: A scoring patch developed by Rudy Taraschi used to assign arbitrary colors which allows you to set a score color that applies to an arbitrary range.
- slrn patches: Several patches by Thomas Wiegner including 'us-ascii override' patch and 'minimal multipart' patch.
- Computer - Tools - slrn @ Michael Prokop : Michael Prokop's slrn page.
External Scripts and Programs
- Cleanscore: This perl script, written by Felix Schüller can be used to purge expired entries automatically from the slrn score file. The script can be also be found in the
contrib/directory of the slrn tarball.
- [Howto] Setup and use Leafnode-2 with the newsreader slrn: A guide written by Andrew Strong for the Ubuntu Forums that describes in great detail how to setup slrn with the NNTP Proxy server Leafnode. Andrew rewrote the guide to cater for Slackware Linux.
- Hamster "Classic": Hamster is a local server for news and mail. It is a program for 32 bit Windows and allows the use of multiple news and mail servers.
- Newsq: An excellent utility which gives a convenient interface to select and re-edit news messages still sitting in the outgoing queue. Can be used with slrnpull and leafnode.